Advancing the Science

Mayo Clinic Medical Science Blog

November 8th, 2016

Becoming a Biomedical Scientist

By Bob Nellis

“I have to tell you that the sheer intellectual joy of finding out how life works is really cool.”         – the late Susan Lindquist, Ph.D., pioneering genetic scientist

This last line from Dr. Lindquist’s obituary in the Sunday New York Times struck me as a timeless statement of enthusiasm and dedication. Dr. Lindquist graduated from Illinois and Harvard and went on to explain how genetic mechanisms work behind such conditions as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.

Just hours after reading the Times, I received the link to the new video about Mayo’s role in creating scientists like Dr. Lindquist. I was thinking of her words as I watched it.

I can assure you, the enthusiasm in this footage is not staged or acted. Everyone and everything is real, including the determination. My colleagues at the Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Research have been trying to capture and convey all of this for some time now… I think they just succeeded.

https://youtu.be/7EHkLe-PUr8

Tags: Mayo Clinic, Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Mayo Clinic research, Opportunities, People, research education, science education

Comment

Please login or register to post a comment.
Contact Us · Privacy Policy