Advancing the Science

Mayo Clinic Medical Science Blog – an eclectic collection of research- and research education-related stories: feature stories, mini news bites, learning opportunities, profiles and more from Mayo Clinic.

October 24, 2018

Bringing pharmacogenomics to your medical practice

By Susan Buckles

After decades of research, pharmacogenomics is “ready for prime time” so to speak. Mayo clinic is a leader in moving pharmacogenomics into clinical care with the goal of helping providers identify medications that are compatible with their patients' genetic profiles. Drugs and Genes: Pharmacogenomics for the Modern Health Care Team 2018 is an opportunity to learn from the experts at Mayo Clinic. The two-day course, sponsored by Mayo Clinic Center for Individualized Medicine, will be held in Scottsdale, Arizona on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. Drugs and Genes will provide an introduction to the basic science of pharmacogenomics and information on how you may integrate it into your daily practice.

Fadi Shamoun, M.D.

Mayo Clinic experts in pharmacogenomics will share knowledge, personal experience, and case studies. One of the presenters will be Fadi Shamoun, M.D., a consultant and assistant professor in the Department of Cardiovascular Diseases at Mayo Clinic’s campus in Arizona. Dr. Shamoun will speak about pharmacogenomics, not only from a clinician’s perspective, but also from that of a patient. He learned the personal value of pharmacogenomics when he went through pharmacogenomics testing himself. His test results turned him into a true believer in the value of pharmacogenomics drug-gene testing.

“I knew that pharmacogenomics tests were used to help physicians select the right drug and right dose for patients. But I was still skeptical. However, I had an ‘aha moment’ when I saw my own test results revealed a sensitivity to Warfarin, a blood thinning medication used for patients with heart disease. As a cardiologist, I deal with this drug every day but never knew how it might affect me. I learned if I ever take this drug, my dosage would need to be adjusted to avoid side effects such as severe bleeding. I am now a true believer in the importance of pharmacogenomics,” says Dr. Shamoun.

For a full list of presenters, and to register, visit the Drugs and Genes website.

###

Tags: Dr Fadi Shamoun, Education, Events, Mayo Clinic Arizona campus, Mayo Clinic Center for Individualized Medicine, pharmacogenomics

Please login or register to post a reply.
Contact Us · Privacy Policy